- FACTORY SCOUTING REPORT Torrance, CA B.A.T.S. Video Scouting Session & PUMA National Tournament Team Tryout
5/31/2005 Scouting Department
- BASEBALL FACTORY & TEAM ONE ANNOUNCE THE INAUGURAL CAPE COD HIGH SCHOOL CLASSIC
- FACTORY SCOUTING REPORT Baltimore, MD PUMA National Tournament Team Tryout
- TONY CAMPANA - Featured Baseball Factory Alumnus
5/17/2005 Scouting Department
- FACTORY SCOUTING REPORT Las Vegas, NV PUMA National Tournament Team Tryout
- FACTORY SCOUTING REPORT Richmond, VA B.A.T.S. Video Scouting Session & PUMA National Tournament Team Tryout
FACTORY SCOUTING REPORT Las Vegas, NV PUMA National Tournament Team Tryout5/10/2005
EVENT DATE: 5/8/2005
LOCATION: Palo Verde High School
For an event we scheduled fairly late (about 3 weeks prior to May 8), we were pleased with the turnout of about 40 players. As evidence to how much growth the Las Vegas area has seen, we had several players who were first year students at brand new high schools.
It would have been impossible to select the Top 10 prospects from this event, the depth of talent was too good. However, the Top 5 prospects stood out along with recently converted catcher Austin Chatterley (Spring Valley HS in Las Vegas).
The Top 5 Prospects were picked by Andy Ferguson and Dan Mooney (Director of Scouting and Assistant Director of Scouting respectively) based on their performance at the event. The ranking is based on their status as college prospects, and is relative to the entire group of 2006 graduates we saw on the day (underclassmen are not considered).
Top 5 Prospects (2006 graduates)
1. Tommy Pham, SS - Las Vegas, NV (Durango HS), 6-1, 180, R/R. A potential 5 tool player at the college level - there is no question about the speed (6.84 60yds) or arm strength (91 mph), only power is a slight question. Along with his excellent athletic ability, Pham is also a very skilled player. His feet and approach are very good in the infield, and at the plate he showed good rhythm and a level stroke with great extension and bat speed.
2. Colby Shreve, 3B/RHP - Las Vegas, NV (Bonanza HS), 6-4, 190, R/R. A legitimate 2-way prospect at the college level. Shreve is impressive looking physically, and is also athletic (7.03 60yds, arm speed, bat speed). His right handed stroke was quick, short and powerful. He was solid at 3B, but will be a guy that should play some 1B also. His fastball was 84-88 mph and he spun a tight curveball with 12 to 6 shape. He looks to have more upside on the mound, his arm stroke is powerful and his curveball is not yet as good as it can be.
3. L. Hamilton Gordon, RHP/SS - San Anselmo, CA (Sir Francis Drake HS), 6-1, 175, R/R. A two sport high school athlete (also football QB and safety), Gordon looks to still be learning baseball. He was 86-90 mph, all from the stretch, on the mound and showed the makings of an above average slider. Quick actions stood out with the glove and the bat, though his mechanical approach still holds him back from reaching his full potential - much like on the mound.
4. Alex Krumins, RHP - Las Vegas, NV (Cimarron Memorial HS), 6-3, 180, R/R. We were more excited about his potential than any other pitcher on the day. His fastball was 81-86 mph today, but his arm action was loose and easy - the ball jumped out his hand. He is all arm right now, strides short and finishes upright - but his arm action is his biggest asset, with a little time and work he has potential to touch 90 mph with his fastball.
5. Andy Sadler, RHP - North Las Vegas, NV (Canyon Springs HS), 6-3, 175, R/R. An arm strength guy on the mound, threw harder from the stretch (89 mph) than he did from the windup (87 mph). This indicates some flaws in his delivery (lack of balance, not much extension out front with arm) that can be worked on in order to unlock his potential. He threw a strong average change-up, but did not show much of a breaking ball just yet. Clearly the arm strength is more than enough to work with, he is another guy with potential for a bright future.
Top Prospects ARCHIVE
Want to find out more about our B.A.T.S Video Scouting Sessions and PUMA National Tournament Team Tryouts? See our upcoming schedule below, or call 800-641-4487.
B.A.T.S VIDEO SCOUTING SESSIONS
- includes edited video and scouting report on personal web page
- also an opportunity to tryout for National Tournament Teams
- call 800-641-4487 to register
PUMA NATIONAL TOURNAMENT TEAM TRYOUTS
- an opportunity to tryout for National Tournament Teams
- does not include video, scouting report, or personal webpage
- call 800-621-5452 to register
Baseball Factory 2005 Schedule